Sony’s full-frame 6K sensor camera with Fast Hybrid AF, Dual Base ISO and S-Cinetone™ colour science.
6K Full-Frame “Exmor R” sensor for stunning picture quality
The back-illuminated full-frame 6K CMOS sensor uses Sony’s Exmor R technology for improved sensitivity and reduced noise. When recording at DCI 4K*, Ultra HD resolutions the ability to oversample and capture at 6K, combined with powerful image processing, ensures that subtle details and textures beyond those that can be captured by a conventional 4K sensor are retained while at the same time noise is reduced.
Compared to a 4K Super 35mm sensor, the FX9’s 6K sensor has over twice the surface area, providing a wider angle of view, making it easier to gain a shallower depth of field. You can also shoot with Super 35mm lenses without compromise, capturing at 4K in super 35mm with all the benefits of this advanced imaging sensor.
*DCI 4K (4096 x 2160 at 17:9 recording) requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
Phenomenal 15+ stops dynamic range for limitless expression
FX9 offers an exceptional 15+ stops of dynamic range – allowing for unprecedented creative freedom in colour grading and post. Camera operators can concentrate on framing the scene they want while relying upon the FX9 to capture every nuance and detail using either 4K 4:2:2 10-bit internal recording or 16-bit RAW external recording.* In grading, colourists can find colour and detail beyond the normal viewing abilities of the camera operator to create a final image that exactly portrays the mood of the scene.
* RAW recording requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware, XDCA-FX9 and external recorder.
Dual Base ISO for stunning images in any light
Digital imaging sensors perform best at their base ISO as no unnecessary gain (voltage) is added to the sensors output. While a typical camera has a single base ISO, carefully chosen to provide the optimum settings for a wide range of shooting scenarios, the FX9’s dual ISO function offers far greater flexibility. Its low base sensitivity of ISO 800* is similar to most other digital cinema cameras offering an excellent balance between dynamic range and sensitivity for most normal types of production. The FX9 with its secondary High Base ISO of 4000* excels in low light conditions without adding extra gain. Low light scenes can be shot using High Base and 4000 ISO with near identical image quality to Low Base and 800 ISO. Combining Dual Base ISO with the camera’s electronic variable ND Filter provides superb creative control in almost any shooting environment, with truly next generation responsiveness to changing conditions.
*ISO 800 and ISO 4000 are used in S-Log3, Cine EI mode.
Cinematic colour science with S-Cinetone™
S-Cinetone is the default look of FX9 that’s tuned to meet the requirements of today’s content creators with rich mid-range colours, alluring facial tones and a softer tonal look – developed with the same expertise as Sony’s world-leading VENICE digital cinematography camera. S-Cinetone means that straight out of the camera your content looks fresh and vivid, with subjects that really stand out while retaining plenty of latitude in post production thanks to the high performance full-frame image sensor.
Accelerate your workflow with User 3D Luts and HLG*
User Created 3D LUTs make it easy to customise FX9’s look to your preferences. It is possible to import LUTs files from an SD card and store up to 16 files on the FX9’s internal memory and switch between them as needed. This is particularly useful for shooting in S-Log3, allowing you to preview on camera whatever custom look you create.
FX9 can record HDR using S-Log3 or Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG)*.
•S-Log3 is optimized for premium applications, capturing the maximum dynamic range from a sensor and providing ultimate creative freedom when colour grading
•HLG* delivers content quickly without additional colour grading making it an ideal choice for day-to-day shooting, viewing and editing workflows
*Ver.2.0 or higher firmware required
Selectable frame rates in both full-frame & Super 35
Choose your desired frame-rate from 1fps up to 180fps* for impressive quick and slow motion footage. FX9 creates an immersive image with a wide-angle look and shallower depth of field provided by its full-frame sensor in combination with quick and slow motion. Engage your audience with this new creative look. FX9 also offers a Quality priority setting** that maximizes full HD image quality using full-frame 6K scan mode or Super 35 4K scan mode with advanced oversampling technology.
Super 35 2K imager scan mode prioritizes frame rates, so image quality may be reduced depending on the shooting environment. In this instance, below settings are recommended.
- Cine EI mode: Set EI gain lower and exposure level higher instead
- Custom/SDR mode: Choose the gamma category setting of Original (S-Cinetone) or STD (STD1 to 6)
· *Up to 120fps with Ver1.0. Full-HD 180fps requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
· **In full-frame scanning mode: selectable at 1–30fps/in super 35 scanning mode: selectable at 1–60fps. Quality priority setting is recommended if desired framerate is available.
16-bit RAW capability*
16-bit RAW offers a phenomenal increase in post-production creative freedom to fully exploit FX9’s exceptional 15+ stops of dynamic range. FX9 supports export of 16-bit RAW at either 4K or 2K resolution using the optional XDCA-FX9 extension unit with a single BNC cable connection to compatible external RAW recorders.**
*RAW output will be enabled with Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
**Compatible recorders to be announced by 3rd party.
Catch the action with enhanced Fast Hybrid AF
Effortlessly track fast moving subjects with pin-sharp focus, even when using wide lens aperture settings to maintain a shallow depth of field with the camera’s full-frame sensor. Developed by Sony’s α camera engineers, enhanced Fast Hybrid AF combines phase detection AF for fast, accurate subject tracking with contrast AF for exceptional focus accuracy. In addition, Face Detection intelligently recognises and locks on to human faces.
The dedicated 561-point phase detection AF sensor covers approximately 94% of the whole image area width and 96% of height, allowing consistently accurate, responsive AF tracking, even with fast-moving subjects.
Autofocus with Sony E-mount lenses
Experience smooth, responsive autofocus with every Sony E-mount lens, including Sony’s Cinema Lens FE C 16-35mm T3.1 G with premium optical performance and operability for demanding cinematography applications. Advanced E-mount lever lock operation allows quick, easy lens exchange in the field, plus added stability and security with large lenses.
World’s first electronic variable ND filter for full-frame sensor*
Realise even greater creative control with Sony’s unique built-in electronic variable neutral density (ND) filter – a world first* for professional full-frame camcorders. Set to Auto, or adjust filter density manually in smooth increments from 1/4 to 1/128 as you shoot, for perfectly exposed images without affecting depth of field as lighting conditions change. Use higher density settings with a slower shutter speed for breathtaking artistic effects.
Quick menu control with touch operation*
The FX9’s LCD Viewfinder has a quick access control menu for commonly accessed features. With a single touch, you can press to change key settings including:
- Codec, Imager Scan mode, Picture Size and frequency.
- Base ISO/Sensitivity
- Shooting Mode
- Audio Levels
Introduced with V2 firmware, the FX9’s quick access control menu uses a similar UI to Sony’s acclaimed VENICE digital cinematography camera.
*Requires Ver.2.0 or higher firmware.
Networked for high mobility
The FX9 features internal 5GHz* and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi capability as standard. Just switch on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:
- Content Browser Mobile™** allows the PXW-FX9 to be controlled remotely from a smartphone or tablet computer via a Wi-Fi connection. Adjust the exposure level, zoom, Record/Stop and more via your mobile device – it’s ideal for single operator shoots. One-touch authentication is also possible with smartphones offering NFC connectivity
- FTP Transfer allows content files to be sent over the internet for remote storage on an FTP server even while shooting. In case of signal interruption, the system will automatically resume as soon as connection restored
- Trimming allows you to set start and end points in a clip, eliminating time-wasting transfers of unneeded content
- XDCAM air can upload proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field, so editing can start immediately. Uploaded content can be accessed securely from any location. News teams can even start logging clips while shooting is still going on, saving even more valuable time when a story’s breaking
- Wired LAN port with optional XDCA-FX9 allows connection of the FX9 to the Internet with a standard Ethernet cable, allowing files to be streamed or transferred by FTP
- Dual Link Cellular is enabled with optional XDCA-FX9 and uses two cellular networks in combination to provide an even more reliable network connection. FX9 is compatible with standard USB cellular dongles from most networks. (Please check for most appropriate service provider for your region. Standard network fees will apply.)
- High quality Sony QoS Streaming to Network RX station (optional) and XDCAM air by Sony allows images to be streamed live for viewing at a remote location