World’s first 1/2-type 3CMOS Sensor for broadcast 4K
The Z280’s all-new Exmor R™ imager is custom-designed for broadcast 4K acquisition. Its three 1/2-type Exmor R™ CMOS deliver a deep depth of field with superb image quality. Red, blue, and green light are independently captured by separate image sensors, contributing to high resolution, high sensitivity of F12 (59.94p) and wide dynamic range. An advanced LSI (featuring intelligent noise reduction and enhanced detail reproduction) delivers remarkably lifelike 4K 4:2:2 10-bit images. Even if you’re delivering in HD, your recordings will capture detail and image texture that HD sensors simply cannot see.
17x professional HD zoom lens with three independent rings with end-stop and large focal length
The PXW-Z280 is equipped with a 17x professional zoom lens able to zoom from 30.3mm to 515mm (35mm equivalent). The 1/2-inch type lens has three independent control rings with end-stop, which allows manual control of focus, zoom and iris, making for better and faster adjustment.
The image can be enlarged in HD mode up to 34x zoom equivalent while maintaining Full HD resolution thanks to digital extender.
Spectacular HDR performance
Demand for HDR content is increasing and Z280 offers you a choice of two powerful workflows.
- S-Log3 is the proven choice for premium applications where you wish to capture as much data as possible for the ultimate flexibility in grading
- Instant HDR Workflow is all about speed. Shoot, edit and view content in Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) to deliver content quickly without compromising on imaging expression and quality of content
HDR / SDR dual production support
When shooting HDR content, the Z280’s EVF is easily switched between HDR and SDR emulation modes. In addition, if you adjust the brightness of the image when in SDR emulation, the SDR gain dB is recorded into metadata so it can be used in post-production for the SDR content. Together these changes make it easier to shoot in HDR while also achieving a quick turnaround for SDR content.
*Requires firmware V4.0 or higher.
Amazingly fast precision auto focus
The PXW-Z280 features newly developed Face detection AF. You can choose between Face Priority AF and Face Only AF. Simply keep the person in frame and and however you move to obtain a better angle, you can be confident the PXW-Z280 will keep your subject in pin-sharp focus.
Built-in electronic Variable ND Filters
Sony’s ground-breaking integration of electronic variable ND Filters into the body of a camcorder enables fast, agile shooting. Moving from shadowy interiors to bright sun-lit exteriors is no problem with PXW-Z280. Unlike conventional optical ND filters, the electronic ND filter on the PXW-Z280 can be controlled from 1/4ND to 1/128ND linearly while ND Filters can be set to fully auto. You can even manually adjust Depth of Field using the iris lens ring, while relying on the PXW-Z280 to maintain constant exposure without changing gain nor shutter speed.
Stream directly to major online platforms
Live streaming instantly connects you with your audience, wherever you are. From breaking news and live events to interviews and seminars – capture high-quality images and share them in real time on major online video platforms such as YouTube Live, Facebook Live, Mudu.tv and more. Set up your own streaming channel with your smartphone or tablet, connect via Wi-Fi – and you’re ready to go. You can even import streaming account details from your PC or Mac via SD card using our StreamingSettingTransfer app.
*Version 4.0 or higher firmware required.
12G-SDI accelerated workflow
Revolutionize your workflow with 12Gbps content transfer – four times the bandwidth of 3G-SDI over a single cable and ideal for working with highest quality 4K content or speeding through HD content. Sony is the first broadcast manufacturer to build 12G-SDI into a compact handheld camcorder. Once you’ve tried it, you won’t want to use anything else.
Accurate OLED viewfinder
An expansive 0.5-inch high quality OLED viewfinder is perfectly offset for right-eye or left-eye viewing. OLED’s superb accuracy, high contrast and high resolution (2.36M dot) enables precise manual focus and eliminates any colour-breaking phenomenon.
Dual Multi-Interface (MI) Shoe
MI Shoe provides power, signal connections and coordinated on/off switching to compatible Sony accessories. For example, you can connect and control Sony wireless microphone systems such as the UWP-D11 or UWP-D12 or attach the HVL-LBPC light *Connectors at front and back of camcorder maximise operational flexibility.
*Accessories sold separately. HVL-LBPC light does not draw power from PXW-Z280.
Dual XLR and 4 Channel Audio
The PXW-Z280 offers superior professional audio capabilities with independent volume dials enabling precision control of external audio inputs, including an MI-shoe attached microphone.
Dual SxS media slots
The camcorder is equipped with two SxS memory card slots, which can record in Simul, Relay or Back up mode. Simul mode permits simultaneous recording to two memory cards, including simultaneous recordings of MPEG HD exFAT and UDF recordings, ideal for archival purposes. Relay mode automatically switches recording from the first to the second memory card when the first is full to extend recording times. In Back up mode, users can set up the two Start/Stop buttons on the PXW-Z280, one on the grip and one on the camcorder body, to independently start and stop recording on different memory cards while recording in Simul mode.
*Simul and back-up recording are limited to HD operation
Networked for high mobility
The PXW-Z280 comes with 5GHz* and 2.4GHz Wi-Fi as standard – simply turn on and log onto your preferred network to enable a host of advanced wireless production features:
- Dual Link Cellular – use two cellular networks in combination to provide an even more reliable network connection. The PXW-Z280 is compatible with standard USB cellular dongles from most networks. (Please check for most appropriate service provider for your region. Standard network fees will apply.)
- High quality Sony QoS Streaming to Network RX station (Sold separately) and XDCAM air allows images to be streamed live from the camcorder for viewing at a remote location
- RTMP/RTMPS live streaming supports sharing to major online video platforms such as YouTube Live, Facebook Live, Mudu.tv and more (with version 4.0 or higher firmware)
- FTP Transfer allows content files recorded with MPEG HD 422/420 proxy feature and other content files shot in XAVC (QFHD/FHD) to be sent over the internet for remote storage on an FTP server even while shooting. In case of signal interruption, the system will automatically resume as soon as connection restored
- Trimming function is available for both proxy and PGM without need for a PC. Any clip can have its start and endpoints selected to eliminate time wasted transferring unnecessary content
- XDCAM air can upload proxy footage to the cloud from multiple camera operators in the field, so editing can start immediately. Uploaded content can be accessed securely from any location. News teams can even start logging clips while shooting’s still going on, saving even more valuable time when a story’s breaking
- Wi-Fi/NFC (Near Field Communication) with Content Browser Mobile™** allows the PXW-Z280 to be remotely controlled from a smartphone or tablet computer (iOS 9.0 – 10.3 or Android 4.4 through 7.1) via a Wi-Fi connection. One-touch authentication is also possible with smartphones that offer NFC connectivity
- Wired LAN port allows you to connect the PXW-Z280 to the Internet with a standard Ethernet cable, allowing files to be streamed or transferred by FTP
- The next update, planned for later 2021, will support enhanced cloud capability
*5GHz support dependent on country/regional regulation. Only PXW-Z280V supports 5GHz. **The Content Browser Mobile™ application can be downloaded from the Google Play Store or App Store. Wi-Fi operation cannot be guaranteed with all smartphones and tablet computers.
High performance, proven recording formats
PXW-Z280 offers complete production flexibility with built-in support for a wide variety of production formats.
- High quality XAVC Intra and XAVC Long GOP recordings
- Broadcast-standard MPEG HD422 and MPEG HD
- DVCAM at 25 Mbps in MXF file format
- HDR in HD 120 fps